Moldy Bulb Syringe.

(Photo Circulating the Internet)

In High School I babysat twins who often had colds. One day I picked up one of these bulb syringes and black goo poured out all over the little baby's face.  I am so glad I hadn't already stuck it in his nose.  It's a memory that I can still vividly recall, complete with the wave of nausea I felt. I definitely never used that one again, chalking it up to improper cleaning.

A few months ago I had seen photos of moldy bulb syringes floating around on Pinterest and Facebook.   I cringed at the thought of someone using the moldy bulb unknowingly on their babies little noses.  I will admit I rolled my eyes a bit and thought, "Well maybe if you cleaned the thing out this wouldn't have happened."  

I ALWAYS clean mine out with antibacterial soap, HOT water, and sometimes even alcohol.  Always.  So I NEVER thought in a million years that MY bulb syringe would be nasty and moldy.

Today I decided, since my kids never use them anymore since learning to blow their noses, that I would cut mine up. Just to see, I was going to throw it away anyway.  Then I could once and for all prove that with proper care...no mold.

So I cut away...


This is what I found in my own bulb syringe :(  UGH!  While I will admit it isn't as bad at the other pictures I had seen, it is still disgusting.  I will also admit, I was wrong.  The worst of the mold wasn't actually in the bottom but in the passage way.  

So even with proper cleaning these bulb syringes that we are sent home with from the hospital, grow mold.

I know I won't be using them anymore on anyone's kids or my own.


Comments

  1. Yuk. Good post. I think it's crazy they're not made to open up to clean them out, it's ludicrous to expect a rubber bulb syringe with such a narrow tip to be cleaned properly and even if it is, it's not going to dry throughly. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Skylanders Eye Brawl Pinata

Skylanders Chompy Lanterns